Geek Charming Review


*SPOILER ALERT*
Title: Geek Charming
Author: Robin Palmer
Publisher: Speak
Genre: Contemporary, Chick lit

Blurb: (from goodreads) The ideal L.A. fairy tale for fans of Once Upon a Time and L.A. Candy!
Inspiration for the Disney Channel TV movie, Geek Charming!

Dylan Shoenfield is the princess of L.A.'s posh Castle Heights High. She has the coolest boyfriend, the most popular friends, and a brand-new "it" bag that everyone covets. But when she accidentally tosses her bag into a fountain, this princess comes face-to-face with her own personal frog: selfprofessed film geek Josh Rosen. In return for rescuing Dylan's bag, Josh convinces Dylan to let him film her for his documentary on high school popularity. Reluctantly, Dylan lets F-list Josh into her A-list world, and is shocked to realize that sometimes nerds can be pretty cool. But when Dylan's so-called prince charming of a boyfriend dumps her flat, her life and her social status comes to a crashing halt. Can Dylan with Josh's help pull the pieces together to create her own happily-ever-after?

Me: A twist on a modern fairy tale, Geek Charming was honestly just a book I read just because. I needed a kind of light, fluffy, story line where you wouldn't get too attached to the characters or setting. So technically I got my wish.
The Ups: The book gave me, like I said, what I wanted. I had read Cindy Ella before and wasn't expecting anything deep and impressive from the author. It was not very realistic, but I think that I enjoyed it because of that. Would this story ever happen in real life? Not too likely. But the idea of popular people being real people too brought a kind of realism to the story.
The Downs: First off, the fact that Josh and Dylan's relationship never developed bothered me immensely. A boy, a girl. They understand each other so well that they learn to look past the stereotypes and see the real person inside. But...
SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER!!!
It doesn't happen. ARRGH!. I wanted to throw the book at the wall when it ended. Like literally. 
Also, the fact that it was set in Los Angeles. I understood the film connection with Josh, but it just didn't work for me.
Major Point: The movie was so much better than the book. It was relatable, Dylan wasn't a perfect blonde, they got together (OH YESSS), and it just satisfied me so much more than the book did. 
Rating: 3 kisses out of 5!








No comments:

Post a Comment