Fangirl Review

Title: Fangirl
Author: Rainbow Rowell 
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Genre: Realistic Fiction, Romance

Blurb: (from goodreads) Cath is a Simon Snow fan.
Okay, the whole world is a Simon Snow fan . . .
But for Cath, being a fan is her life — and she’s really good at it. She and her twin sister, Wren, ensconced themselves in the Simon Snow series when they were just kids; it’s what got them through their mother leaving.
Reading. Rereading. Hanging out in Simon Snow forums, writing Simon Snow fan fiction, dressing up like the characters for every movie premiere.
Cath’s sister has mostly grown away from fandom, but Cath can’t let go. She doesn’t want to.
Now that they’re going to college, Wren has told Cath she doesn’t want to be roommates. Cath is on her own, completely outside of her comfort zone. She’s got a surly roommate with a charming, always-around boyfriend, a fiction-writing professor who thinks fan fiction is the end of the civilized world, a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words . . . And she can’t stop worrying about her dad, who’s loving and fragile and has never really been alone.

For Cath, the question is: Can she do this?
Can she make it without Wren holding her hand? Is she ready to start living her own life? Writing her own stories?
And does she even want to move on if it means leaving Simon Snow behind?


Me: A really fresh take on teenage romance and first love.

The Ups: Oh my gosh Cath! I think everyone is like this, but I can't enjoy an amazing plot, no matter how well thought it may be if I don't feel for the main character. But Cath was so perfectly flawed to the point where I felt like she was my best friend. I loved the coming of age story and how she felt so confused and lost on where she was going. Just the way she talked was so funny and touching, and the fact that this girl was brave enough to make a romance happen was so heart-warming.
So ya, the romance. Loved it. It wasn't all hot and steamy six-pack abs and model girl. It was very touchingly real. The way Cath was holding back and Levi just stayed there for her was just perfection. Perfection.
I also really enjoyed the whole Simon Snow thing. The whole time I was omg it's like the world and Harry Potter so that was exciting:) Maybe that's just me and my potterheadness. I really felt for her when she felt panicked about Simon Snow ending because that was me with Harry Potter. But anyway I really liked how Rowell put in little"excerpts" from the real Simon Snow books and from Cath's fanfics. 

The Downs: I don't even know. Like at all. The world should have more books like Fangirl. 

Personally I loved this down-to-earth realistic fiction. I've been reading a ton of sci-fi lately and this was such a nice change. 

Rating: BMS... 6 kisses out of 5!

No comments:

Post a Comment