To All The Boys I've Loved Before Review

Title: To All The Boys I've Loved Before
Author: Jenny Han
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Genre: Realistic Fiction, Romance 

Blurb: (from goodreads) To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before is the story of Lara Jean, who has never openly admitted her crushes, but instead wrote each boy a letter about how she felt, sealed it, and hid it in a box under her bed. But one day Lara Jean discovers that somehow her secret box of letters has been mailed, causing all her crushes from her past to confront her about the letters: her first kiss, the boy from summer camp, even her sister's ex-boyfriend, Josh. As she learns to deal with her past loves face to face, Lara Jean discovers that something good may come out of these letters after all. 

Me: Personally I just have such love for Jenny Han. Something about her writing feels like coming home after a long, tiring trip. Her word usage and dialogue make you feel like her characters live next door, or in your school, or in you. 

The Ups: Jenny Han, in her solo published novels, usually writes about sweet romance stories. But unlike the steamy, hot writing other authors use, her romance is innocent, pure, adorable, and painfully relatable. This book did not fail to disappoint. In fact, I think every single girl...ever can relate to just the title. I think Lara Jean may just be my favorite character of all time. I swear this girl is my soul mate. 
I loved the tight relationships her family/friends had. They weren't always perfect, but in the end, everything came together.
Speaking of, I think one of my favorite little aspects was "the Song girls". The sisterly bond was beautiful. 
I'm such a sweet, girly, realistic fiction lover and Jenny Han just satisfies all those wants. This book would be great for anytime when you just want to feel loved and warm and secure. 
I personally loved this book because Lara Jean is half Korean, so there were lots of references. My favorite part...
"There are very limited options for Asian girls on Halloween. Like one year I went as Velma from scooby-Doo, but people just asked if I was a manga character. I even wore a wig! So now I'm committed to dressing up as Asian characters exclusively...This year I'm going as Cho Chang from Harry Potter." 
Literally what I was going to go as this year. Jenny Han reads my mind. 

The Downs: Peter Kavinsky. The jerk. I dislike him with a passion and it annoys me that Lara Jean just kind of looked past all the "bad things" and fell in love with him or whatever all over again. I don't want to spoil the ending, but him as one of the love interests was...annoying. 

Overall: Still perfect, Jenny Han, still perfect. (Did I mention I got to meet her? Squee!)

Rating: 5 kisses!


1 comment: