Authors To Watch

So, with Texas Teen Book Fest coming up, (see for my post about it here)I've been reading mainly books by authors coming. To help you a little bit, and to just give you great authors I've newly discovered, here is...Authors To Watch.

First up...A.S. King

Author Intro: 




A.S. King is best known for her award-winning young adult novels, though she writes novel-length and short fiction for adults as well. After more than a decade in Ireland dividing herself between self-sufficiency, restoring her farm, teaching adult literacy, and writing novels, she returned to the US in 2004. 














My Personal Opinion: I just got hooked onto A.S. King's books over this summer, when I realized I should probably start reading her books. Then I realized that the way she writes is the exact genre that I like to read. Realistic Fiction that shows the everyday struggles of teens trying to find themselves, she portrays it in a humourous but touching way. Her really strong suit is creating very sturdy main characters that really connect with the reader, that really touch your heart, that you really feel for. I think that her books tell us that there is a lot of struggling during these times of life, but if you acknowledge it and stay real, you'll get through it. And that's what she does. She tells the story like it is. She holds a mirror to the incredibly true stories we call real life and tells them. And can I say, she is such an AMAZING writer. 



Books: 
If you haven't read my review of this yet, you can here. Basically it's my favorite book right now, and everyone should read it. Like seriously. This is so stinking good. About bullying, and really gaining self-confidence and assurance, it's hilarious and depressing and beautiful all at once. It made me laugh out loud, and cry within the same chapter. Sometimes both. 

Teaser: “The world is full of assholes. What are you doing to make sure you're not one of them?” 
― A.S. KingEverybody Sees the Ants


This one was really powerful as well.  Again, I have reviewed this before...here. I think this really changed the way I view GLBT people, or just other people in general. Astrid has a way of connecting to you, and making you realize the love and the pain that everyone goes through. 

Teaser: “I want my life to be easier than this. I mean, I know I'm not some starving kid who has to wash clothes in the Ganges for a nickel, but today just sucks.” 
― A.S. KingAsk the Passengers



I have heard so much praise for this book, but when I tried to squeeze it in between all my other summer books, I couldn't get into it. About 100 pages into the book, I think I stopped and decided to read something more urgent, but I think I'm going to try and read this again, Maybe it'll work out. Is it good enough to really try and get into it?

Teaser: “I'm sorry, but I don't get it. If we're supposed to ignore everything that's wrong with our lives, then I can't see how we'll ever make things right.” 
― A.S. KingPlease Ignore Vera Dietz

Books I haven't quite read yet: 

Book(s) coming out soon: Coming October 14, 2014
Glory O'Brien's History of the Future

WOULD YOU TRY TO CHANGE THE WORLD IF YOU THOUGHT YOU HAD NO FUTURE?

Graduating from high school is a time of limitless possibilities—but not for Glory, who has no plan for what's next. Her mother committed suicide when Glory was only four years old, and she’s never stopped wondering if she will eventually go the same way...until a transformative night when she begins to experience an astonishing new power to see a person’s infinite past and future. From ancient ancestors to many generations forward, Glory is bombarded with visions—and what she sees ahead of her is terrifying.

A tyrannical new leader raises an army. Women’s rights disappear. A violent second civil war breaks out. And young girls vanish daily, sold off or interned in camps. Glory makes it her mission to record everything she sees, hoping her notes will somehow make a difference. She may not see a future for herself, but she’ll do everything in her power to make sure this one doesn’t come to pass.


In this masterpiece about freedom, feminism, and destiny, Printz Honor author A.S. King tells the epic story of a girl coping with devastating loss at long last—a girl who has no idea that the future needs her, and that the present needs her even more.

My Thoughts: A.S. King is a master of magic realism, and I am super excited to read this book, and get it signed by her at Texas Teen Book Fest! 





1 comment:

  1. I am really looking forward to History of the Future. She is definitely an author I will stalk at the Book Festival.

    ReplyDelete