Hush, Hush Review

Title: Hush, Hush
Author: Becca Fitzpatrick
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Genre: Fantasy, Paranormal, Romance

Blurb: (from goodreads) A SACRED OATH
A FALLEN ANGEL
A FORBIDDEN LOVE


Romance was not part of Nora Grey's plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how hard her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her. Not until Patch comes along. With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Patch draws Nora to him against her better judgment.

But after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure whom to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is and seems to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is way more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel.

For she is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and, when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost Nora her life.


Me: First of all, I went on goodreads and was absolutely appalled by the amount of controversy this book has gotten. Literally, the ratings were either 1 star or 5 stars. And I have quite some stuff to say about the book.

The Ups: I thought that the book was rather enjoyable during the actual period I was reading it. It was very fast-paced which I enjoyed, because being so incredibly tired and busy these days, it was nice that I could slip in and out of the world of the book very quickly and I thought that it kept me entertained throughout the story. There was a lot of action, suspense, and I got interested in what was happening. 
The concept of fallen angels, and Nephilim was very fresh and interesting, and I think it was cool to think of good gone wrong, and how even the most holiest or "good" creatures would succumb to desire. I've read a crazy amount of books on fairies, vampires, and werewolves, but angels were a new idea. 

The Downs: This book is a romance novel. Right? I mean, that's what it's supposed to be. And I fell for Patch the first time that he popped up. But as the book went on, I found him to be borderline abusive and not attractive or nice at all. And when I don't like the romantic interest in a romance novel, that kind of defeats the whole purpose of the novel. I think that if the novel had expanded more on the entire angel/Nephilim idea it would have been much more interesting than just trying to make the romance work. 
I also think that the actual action happened too late in the book. I understand that it was building up to a certain climax and that there was a lot of romantic building and information that we needed, but I wish that it would have happened at a bit of a faster pace. I just really think that if the book had been primarily based on the paranormal part of the story and not the romance, it would have been much more enjoyable.
I found the book very predictable. It just seemed like another generic paranormal story for me. I saw a lot of things coming and it just generally didn't excite me very much. 

Overall: Fascinating concept, but wasn't written the way I would've liked it. 

Rating: 2 kisses!


1 comment:

  1. I like how you did the research on the book's ratings, and the controversy is wow! But what particularly did you not like about the way it was written? That confused me.

    ReplyDelete