Out of the Easy Review

Title: Out of the Easy
Author: Ruta Sepetys
Publisher: Philomel Books
Genre: Historical Fiction

Blurb: (from goodreads) It’s 1950, and as the French Quarter of New Orleans simmers with secrets, seventeen-year-old Josie Moraine is silently stirring a pot of her own. Known among locals as the daughter of a brothel prostitute, Josie wants more out of life than the Big Easy has to offer. 


She devises a plan get out, but a mysterious death in the Quarter leaves Josie tangled in an investigation that will challenge her allegiance to her mother, her conscience, and Willie Woodley, the brusque madam on Conti Street. Josie is caught between the dream of an elite college and a clandestine underworld. New Orleans lures her in her quest for truth, dangling temptation at every turn, and escalating to the ultimate test.

With characters as captivating as those in her internationally bestselling novel Between Shades of Gray, Ruta Sepetys skillfully creates a rich story of secrets, lies, and the haunting reminder that decisions can shape our destiny.


Me: Ruta Sepetys has just received my utmost respect for being able to weave such beautiful historical fiction stories.

The Ups: I personally am a fan of historical fiction. It's fascinating to learn about the past, and I think that there is no better way to experience it then to completely be immersed in the world through a book. 
However, I often notice that historical fiction novels are revolved around just the facts and that the story doesn't feel quite so authentic, because the character development and plot doesn't feel real. But Out of the Easy was a timeless story that every person even now, can relate to.
It was a very character-driven novel, which are the kinds of novels I love. Josie Moraine was determined, self-driven, but also tied to a destiny and a life she wanted to escape. And I loved her. But moreso I loved the other supporting characters. I fell in love with Patrick, even though obviously that would have been possible, I hated her mother but felt sorry for her and pitied her life at the same time, I had such compassion for Cokie, and most of all I loved Willie. The characters were just all so flawed, so tied to their sad lives and making the best of it. 
The setting was very well crafted as well. I personally have a love for New Orleans, and its originality, but the book really brings to me the idea of the struggle the people of the city had to face 60 years ago. 
I also really enjoyed how nicely paced the book was. For the first time in a long while, I stayed up really late reading this book because it was so captivating. 

The Downs: There were certain parts of the story I wasn't very comfortable with, and I think that that is the only thing that keeps me from giving the book 5 kisses. 

Overall: A wonderful historical fiction novel with a stellar plot and great characters.

Rating: 4 kisses!


No comments:

Post a Comment