We Were Liars Review

Title: We Were Liars
Author: E. Lockhart
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Genre: Contemporary, Realistic Fiction

Blurb: (from goodreads) 
A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth.
 
We Were Liars is a modern, sophisticated suspense novel from National Book Award finalist and Printz Award honoree E. Lockhart. 

Read it.
And if anyone asks you how it ends, just LIE.


Me: This book gave me shivers and goosebumps. What seemed like a shallow story at first became a very frighteningly real novel.

The Ups: E. Lockhart is one of those authors with a very distinct voice. Her writing radiates uniqueness and spunk. Being that way, some people find a huge problem with it, and others fall in love with it. I fall in the second category. The writing is very blunt but descriptive and is a bit choppy, but that's the writing I love to read.

“We are liars. We are beautiful and privileged. We are cracked and broken.” 

How can you not love this? The characters were beautifully crafted as well, broken and demented and yet so relatable, nerve-wrackingly authentic. Gat and Cady were wonderful characters, especially Cady, with whom I found so many flaws that mirror a lot of people in the world. She was an amazing protagonist. The Sinclair sisters, and the occasional twisted story of King Lear that would pop up really added to the book.The effort that this family gave to make themselves look perfect, while crumbling on the inside, was admirable and scary and unfortunately, not too different from who we are.
The book started off with a map and a family tree, and I just felt so connected to this world that Cady lived in, yet disconnected. It was amazing.
Can we just discuss the plot twist. I won't say too much, and although I should probably just lie, that plot twist completely got me. I was in utter shock, and I didn't see it coming at all. Possibly one of the best plot twists I've ever read in a book.

The Downs: Nothing, Just read it. Go. I've already told you too much.

Overall: An amazing mystery with slight touches of romance and imperfection that you absolutely NEED to read.

Rating: 5 kisses!



1 comment:

  1. Wow this book sounds mind-blowing! :) Awesome I think I'll add this to my TBR (which, by the way, is getting longer and longer) great review!

    ReplyDelete