Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2) Review

Title: Crown of Midnight
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Genre: Fantasy 

Blurb: (from goodreads) "A line that should never be crossed is about to be breached.

It puts this entire castle in jeopardy—and the life of your friend."

From the throne of glass rules a king with a fist of iron and a soul as black as pitch. Assassin Celaena Sardothien won a brutal contest to become his Champion. Yet Celaena is far from loyal to the crown. She hides her secret vigilantly; she knows that the man she serves is bent on evil.

Keeping up the deadly charade becomes increasingly difficult when Celaena realizes she is not the only one seeking justice. As she tries to untangle the mysteries buried deep within the glass castle, her closest relationships suffer. It seems no one is above questioning her allegiances—not the Crown Prince Dorian; not Chaol, the Captain of the Guard; not even her best friend, Nehemia, a foreign princess with a rebel heart.

Then one terrible night, the secrets they have all been keeping lead to an unspeakable tragedy. As Celaena's world shatters, she will be forced to give up the very thing most precious to her and decide once and for all where her true loyalties lie...and whom she is ultimately willing to fight for.

Me: Oh my god. It just keeps on getting better and better, doesn't it. How does Sarah J. Maas do this? I am at a loss for words. 

The Ups: Everything I would have wanted in an epic sequel to Throne of Glass: 

(Literally me...) But anyway, I am not a huge fantasy person. In fact, because it takes more effort to memorize all the places and people and take in the new culture, I often find I can't read fantasy smoothly and it actually annoys me a bit. But not this series. The people, the places, the culture, the entire world that has been created comes very naturally to me while reading it. The story sucked me right in.
I read from page 100 to the end of the book without realizing how far I'd gotten. It's been a while since I've lost track of time while reading, but it totally happened to me. I was literally in a trance. 
I'm actually having a hard time writing a review for this book because it was literally perfect. Absolute perfection. I was mindblown and heartbroken and amazed. Well, I'll try...
First off, the writing style sucks you right in. It grabs you right away and is really descriptive while getting straight to the point in the action. It makes it really easy to fully absorb the book.
The characters, like the first book, were phenomenal. I loved absolutely all of them. They all had their strengths, their weaknesses, but they were very strong and I adored each and every one. Chaol, especially, since I'd been rooting for him all along and had a huge crush on him, I loved, and Celaena...Oh Celaena. She was freaking AWESOME. She kicked some major butt, but I could tell she had a lot of problems, and there was so much depth to her character. There were times where I truly felt for her and was right there next to her, and sometimes where I felt like I didn't know her at all, which I loved.
The plot was sooooo greatttt. 
It was crazy intense but perfectly covered all aspects of an amazing plot. It gave me romance when I wanted romance, friendship when I wanted friendship, self-contemplation when I wanted it, action when I wanted it, and crazy twists that literally made my head spin. 
In other words, I am dead by the amount of amazing-ness in this book. 
And, I'm not going to spoil it, but if you have read it....THE ENDING. COULD SHE HAD ENDED IT MORE PERFECTLY? I THINK NOT....Please talk to me if you have read it because I need to rant...
(My face when I read it:)

The Downs: None. Nada. Zip. Zero. If I keep reading such amazing books my head is going to burst. 

Overall: Had every aspect that I would have ever wanted in a book, especially a fantasy. 

Rating: BEAT MY SCALE AND WENT TO THE ENDS OF THE UNIVERSE.







No comments:

Post a Comment