My Perfect Night In


I don't know about you, but I'm always incredibly bogged down by deadlines and commitments this time of year. With everything important happening in a matter of days, that one peaceful, ideal night-in reading is more appreciated than ever. Here's just what that looks like for me: 


1. Lights
For some reason, I enjoy dimmed lights so much more than straight-on light. Even during the day, I'll open my windows and let the sunlight do its job. If I know I'm going to have a night of some peace and good reading, the first thing I'll do is turn on all my lamps and set the mood. It just prepares your body for mental rest and eases you into the nighttime feeling. 

2. Music 
I'm super picky about what music I listen to when I read/write, but when I'm going through my nightly routine, I like to listen to some calming, quieter music. I can never go wrong with: 
  • Tracy Chapman
  • The Head and the Heart
  • The Lumineers
  • Oh Wonder









3. Self-care
I'm not a beauty guru, but I can appreciate a good facial mask as much as anyone else :) I love to go through my entire routine, cleanser, moisturizer, toner, in a slow rhythm, just listening to the music and having a good time. I love Korean beauty masks, which are super easy to put on and peel off, and leave your skin feeling healthy and refreshed. It's a nice time to clear your mind and just think. Or not. 

4. Writing
Sometimes, I'll get an itch to write some poetry or just brainstorm some story ideas I might address the next day. I just sit down with my notebook and stare into space while I listen to instrumental music and let all sorts of thoughts in my head. Hands down, some of my best writing has sprung out of this. 






5. READING!
Of course, a perfect night-in wouldn't be complete without a good read. Currently, I am reading All the Light We Cannot See again, which is just so gorgeous it keeps me up. Some other good nightly reads are: 
-The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender
-I'll Give You the Sun
-Winger (for a laugh...and a cry)
- Kafka on the Shore 

This post isn't sponsored, but I was contacted with this great idea by Leesa, a mattress company. Check them out if you need a new mattress:) 

What are your essentials for a good night in? 


1 comment:

  1. I love a good face mask as well! Skincare relaxed me so much and makes me feel so good! I can't skip a night in without it.

    ReplyDelete